This is another super awesome recipe by Wellness Mama at www.WellnessMama.com. Lots of respect and a shout-out to her and her blog. If you like this recipe, please visit her site and subscribe to her blog, you won’t regret it!
Here is her recipe, word for word:
Before You Start, You’ll Need
- Coconut oil
- Shea butter, cocoa butter or mango butter (or a mix of all three)
- beeswax (pastilles)
- Optional: Vitamin E oil
- baking soda (Omit this if you have sensitive skin and just use extra arrowroot)
- organic arrowroot powder or non-GMO cornstarch
- 2-3 capsules of high quality probiotics that don’t need to be refrigerated (I love Bio Kult brand)- optional
- Optional: essential oils of choice – I used about 20 drops of lavender essential oil
Deodorant Bar Ingredients
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup Shea butter, cocoa butter or mango butter (or a mix of all three equal to 1 part)
- ½ cup + 1 tsp beeswax
- 1 teaspoon Vitamin E oil – optional
- 3 tablespoons baking soda (Omit this if you have sensitive skin and just use extra arrowroot)
- 1/2 cup organic arrowroot powder
- 2-3 capsules of high quality probiotics that don’t need to be refrigerated (optional)
- Optional: Essential oils of choice – I used about 20 drops of lavender essential oil and also like citrus and frankincense
Deodorant Bar Instructions
- Combine coconut oil, Shea (or other) butter, and beeswax in a double boiler, or a glass bowl over a smaller saucepan with 1 inch of water in it. Combine in a quart size glass mason jar with a lid instead and place this in a small saucepan of water until melted. This will save your bowl and you can just designate this jar for these type of projects and not even need to wash it out…
- Turn the burner on and bring water to a boil. Stir ingredients constantly until they are melted and smooth:
- Remove from heat and add the vitamin E oil, baking soda, arrowroot powder, probiotics, and essential oils. Make sure the mixture is not hot to the touch (warm is ok) so that the heat doesn’t kill the probiotics.
- Gently stir by hand until all ingredients are incorporated.
- If you will be making these into bars, pour into muffin tins or other molds while still liquid. If you will be putting into an old deodorant container to use like stick deodorant, let the mixture harden for about 15-20 minutes at room temperature to harden and when it is about the consistency of peanut butter, use a spoon to scoop into the deodorant tube and pack down to fill. Then, leave the cap off overnight to completely harden before using.
Note: This recipe can be adjusted to make any quantity that you’d like by increasing the amount of ingredients used. This batch made enough deodorant for my husband and I for about 2-3 months. You could also cut the recipe in half if you want to make a smaller amount.